My work at Notre Dame is currently split between the University’s Reilly Center for Science, Technology, and Values and the History of Science Society. I’m an historian of medicine by training, but much of my recent work has been on the ethics of emerging technology. I’m particularly interested in bodily enhancements and life-extension tools.

I started my education with a B.A. in medical anthropology, followed by a Masters blending anthropology, history, and classics, both at the University at Buffalo (SUNY). In 2013, I completed my PhD in the History and Philosophy of Science Program with a dissertation titled Reforming the Raj: Florence Nightingale’s biomedical liberalism in British India (thrilling, right?!).

My professional goals are twofold. First, to foster an appreciation for the integral role of the humanities in science and technology. This extends beyond education into research, business, and politics. Second, to help (future) professionals hone their speaking and writing skills to improve the quality of public dialog. I’m deeply frustrated by the emptiness of the content I find on the internet, on television, and in magazines, and news outlets and I want to help people understand how rigorous thinking, succinct and efficient communication, empathy, and elegant presentation go together.

As for other professional activities, I build and manage the popular Reilly Top 10 List of Ethical Dilemmas and Policy Issues in Science and Technology. I was also recently named to the 2016 Class of Michiana’s 40 Under 40. From 2011-2013 I was the Managing Editor for the journal Studies in History and Philosophy of Science.

You can e-mail me at baron.17@nd.edu.